There is no mention to the “Magnificent 7” in this article because they have their own piece titled “10 Cool Facts About the Magnificent 7”
1. Last Olympic Games where compulsories were contested. The last compulsory floor music was a fragment of “Die Fledermaus” (The Bat) by Johann Strauss.
2. Lilia Podkopayeva became Ukraine’s only Olympic All-Around champion in history and also the only all-Around champion to not have won a team medal.
3. Lilia Podkopayeva was the current World All-Around Champion at the time of her win. Update: No other reigning World All-Around Champion managed to win Olympic all-around gold until Simone Biles in 2016.
4. Aside from her Olympic All-Around Gold medal Lilia Podkopayeva also won gold on Floor. Update: No Olympic All-Around Champion managed to win a second gold after their all-around triumph until Simone Biles in 2016.
5. Simona Amanar who tied teammate Lavinia Milosovici for all-around bronze had originally not qualified to the all-around final (she had fallen in her compulsory beam routine). Alexandra Marinescu was pulled from the final to give Amanar the opportunity to compete.
6. Three members of the Unified Team that competed in Barcelona 1992 were present in Atlanta but representing different countries.
- Rozalia Galieva represented Russia (7th all-around)
- Oksana Chusovitina represented Uzbekistan (10th all-around)
- Svetlana Boginskaya represented Belarus (14th all-around)
7. Dina Kochetkova celebrated her 19th birthday during the Olympics. She did not have a happy one since she qualified to several individual finals (AA, UB, BB and FX) but did not medal in any of them.
8. Two gymnasts from the Russian Olympic Team went on to attend the Athens Olympics 8 years later: Svetlana Khorkina and Evgenia Kuznetsova, however, Kuznetsova represented Bulgaria at the 2004 Olympics.
9. The last Olympics where the minimum age requirement was 15 years old, starting in 1997 the minimum age was raised to 16 years old.
10. The most decorated country was Romania with 8 medals:
- Gold: Vault
- Silver: All Around & Floor Exercise
- Bronze: Team, Vault, Beam & All-Around (2 medals were awarded)
A montage that remembers the 1996 Olympic Games