1. The last time Romania walked out of the Olympic Games without a medal was in Munich 1972.
2. While Romania did not earn any medals in gymnastics a former Romanian gymnast did win an Olympic Bronze… in Rowing.
3. China’s only medal was the team bronze.
4. Gabrielle Douglas was the first Olympic all-around champion to return for a second Olympics since Nadia Comaneci returned for her second Olympics in 1980.
5. Since Lilia Podkopayeva won the all-around Olympic gold medal and then the Olympic Gold Medal on Floor no All-Around Olympic Champion had been able to win an Event Final Gold Medal until Simone won gold on both Vault and the Floor Final.
6. Six Former Olympic medalists (Hong Un Jong, Chusovitina, Ponor, Raisman, Mustafina and Paseka) qualified into the same Event Final where they owned a previous Olympic medal. Only Paseka (vault), Mustafina (bars) and Raisman (Floor) managed to obtain another Olympic medal in the same event in Rio 2016
7. The bronze medalists: Giulia Steingruber (SUI), Sophie Scheder (GER) and Amy Tinkler (GBR) had never won an individual World medal before their Olympic bronzes.
8. Sophie Scheder (GER) and Amy Tinkler (GBR) have never won an individual medal at Europeans either.
9. Two pair of sisters, as well as one brother and sister, were present at the Olympics.
- Rebecca Downie (24) and Elissa Downie (17).
- Twins Sanne and Lieke Wevers (24). Sanne became the Olympic Beam Champion.
- Daniele Hypólito (31) and Diego Hypólito (30). Diego won a silver medal in the Men’s Floor Exercise.
10. Final medal in count in women’s artistic gymnastics:
- USA: 4 Golds (Team, All-Around, Vault, Floor), 4 Silvers (All Around, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam, Floor), 1 Bronze (Balance Beam)
- Russia: 1 Gold (Uneven Bars), 2 Silvers (Team, Vault), 1 Bronze (All-Around)
- The Netherlands: 1 Gold (Balance Beam)
- China: 1 Bronze (Team)
- Switzerland: 1 Bronze (Vault)
- Germany: 1 Bronze (Uneven Bars)
- Great Britain: 1 Bronze (Floor Exercise)
BONUS COOL FACT: Sanne Wevers (NED) and Simone Biles (USA) were flag bearers at the Closing Ceremony of Rio 2016